GROWN-UP GIRLS LIKE TO PLAY TOO! WELCOME TO MY PLAYGROUND

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

PROJECT:
Junk Sideboard Makeover


They really don't get much uglier than this, but I can't resist a bargain, so I nabbed this at Mary's Barn, my favorite junque store for $10.
Before
I believe it was a initially supposed to be a sideboard.At least that's the purpose that I had in mind for it. I gave this a very similar treatment to the one in Chest of Drawers Redo except I didn't use the crackling technique. This piece was simply painted with two coats of white latex paint. Then the top and the moulding on the doors were painted in pale pink for a subtle accent. Next I sanded to distress the sideboard, and reveal a tiny bit of the original wood. Finally, I replaced the existing hardware; The original knobs were replaced with vintage knobs of pink glass, and the drawer handles were replaced with new ones from a bargain chain.

Initially, I used this piece in the dining room as a sideboard, so I thought a mirror on top would be nice. I found this one at a yard sale a few years ago, and it has moved around my house quite a bit. I think it has finally found its home atop the sideboard, though.

Recently, I decided to move it to the kitchen, where I needed extra storage and counter space. It has worked out quite well! The photos below show it a couple of years after the photos above, now in its kitchen setting. Isn't it amazing how a change of accessories can give a piece of furniture a whole new look?


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails