GROWN-UP GIRLS LIKE TO PLAY TOO! WELCOME TO MY PLAYGROUND
Friday, October 29, 2010
Two for One!
My project for today actually turned out to be two projects in one (sorry for such a long post)!
It is my first real woodworking or building project completely from scratch. It's only a very simple bookcase, but it's something I needed and building it has given me the confidence to try my hand at woodworking again. Here's how it came together.
First, I assembled my materials.
And I gathered my tools, most of which were purchased at yard sales.
And then it was time to saw, hammer and nail. I attached the sides to the back first, and then the top and bottom.
Look, now I have (drumroll...) a large box!
And now for the moment of truth....is it level?
Time to put the shelves in!
The next step was painting...white, of course, and then I added some vintage ephmera to the back. I only taped it in place so that it would be easy to change. Finally, I added some wheels for easy portability. Here are some close-ups of the shelves. The first shelf features the cover from a piece of 1920's sheet music.
Here it is after I added some decorative objects. The little blue box also serves as storage for my plate hangers.
On the second shelf I used some vintage sheet music, a remnant of scrapbooking paper, and a vintage style postcard.
It holds some books, a family photo, and a vintage flower brooch. The book covers are made from aqua wrapping paper to coordinate with the room.
For the third shelf I added some old book pages and a piece of vintage sheet music. I really like the title of this song, "Why Must I Dream".
Here's another storage box; this one holds my plate and photo easels. I put the toile container on top because I like it, but I'm certain that it will soon become the stash place for something!
I put some additional sheet music on the bottom shelf, along with more old book pages, one of which, has photographs.
More books and a little milkglass sherbet for the bottom shelf.
Here's a photo of the finished bookcase, pictured with some other recent projects.
After putting it where I'd planned, I realized it needed something else. The front was facing the dining area, but the back was facing the guest/project room and looked rather blah. (I'll show you the bookcase in its permanent spot when I do the room reveal a little later.) At any rate, I decided it would look nice semi disguised as a column, so out came the pencil. I did a few practice sketches of columns on paper to find a design that I was happy with. Then I penciled the sketch to the bookcase.
I "painted" it by going over the outline with a wide Sharpie marker. Gotta love those little Sharpies --- one of my favorite "tools" anyway!
Here's the finished result.
So now it's a bookcase on one side and a column on the other.
Again, sorry for such a long post, but I just had to share my first absolutely from scratch furniture project.