GROWN-UP GIRLS LIKE TO PLAY TOO! WELCOME TO MY PLAYGROUND

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recycled Dresser Mirror

Work is underway in my guest/sewing room. I am finally reclaiming my lost space that had devolved into a storage heap! While doing some rearranging, I moved a dresser that formerly occupied that room to the living room. Since it was placed under a window, I couldn't use the mirror that had been on top.




I decided to repurpose it as a wall mirror in the guest/sewing room, but felt it was lacking something when I hung it up. I decided what it was missing was a shelf underneath, so I decided to build one using some materials I had on hand...a 3/4 inch thick board, and some cheesy plastic brackets that I found at Goodwill a while back.




To start, I measured and cut the board to about eight inches longer than the length of the bottom edge of the mirror.




Then I sanded the rough sides of the board as well as rounded down the edges to make a bit of a softer line.




This is how it looked when I finished sanding.




Next I painted the board and brackets. When painting the brackets, I left a little bit of the underlying gold showing through for a more aged look.




Here it is all put together. It was painful for me to share this photo...you can see in the mirror reflection the mess I'm still working through to reclaim the room.




Here are a couple of detail shots. First, the top of the mirror.




And where the shelf and mirror join.




All in all, not too bad for a freebie project, don't you think? Work on the room is going slowly because of some extra hours at my job, but it is coming along. I'll have lots of innexpensive project ideas coming out of this re-do, so I hope you'll check in with me again soon.


Until next time,
Sheilla
This post is shared on "Show and Tell Friday" at Cindy's gorgeous blog, My Romantic Home. You should check it out....lots of great ideas to discover!

My apologies Cindy! Due to a cut and paste error, I am late in crediting your party! So sorry!!!

14 comments:

  1. Oh Sheilla ... I think your recycled mirror and shelf project turned out really nice! It's stunning! I love how you used pieces you already had around the house to create such a beautiful vignette. And now you have a small shelf to display whatever you want on it, whether it be some collection or maybe some seasonal decor. You are such a crafty person - I always love to see your projects! You are making lots of progress on that room. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mirror! What a great idea to use it as a wall mirror. And I am impressed by your use of power tools! I am afraid to admit that I'm scared to use a power saw, so the hubs does all of my cutting! Those gold brackets look oh, so much better painted white! You would never guess that they are plastic! Thanks for the great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! Isn't it the best when you can put together such a wonderful project using things you already have. I love when that happens!

    It turned out great!

    Blessings,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. wONDERFUL! so very nice that you can imagine the possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, it looks fantastic:))
    I am your newest follower, come to visit my blog.
    Have a great weekend:)
    Greetings from Europe, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! LOVE the mirror and the addition of the shelf is just PERFECTION!!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very creative of you and what a great turn out too! prety mirror now you have! thanks for sharing. have a great weekend!
    xo
    fitty

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea...it looks fabulous! Can't wait to see the finished room! Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh! Sheilla,
    I too love the outcome of the mirror and shelf idea. Depending on where the mirror is hanging and what it was going to be hanging over it would have been great!! Now add the shelf only made it that much more interesting :)
    You can still place a chest under the mirror and shelf adding another surface of display.

    It is going to be a great focal piece for the room! looking forward to seeing what next instore for the room!

    PS. Thank you for your visit to my place and comment on my entry way buffet.
    xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love mirrors I try to put one in almost all my rooms....love how yours turned out.
    Happy Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did with your mirror. Very creative but it looks like it was always meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when a "vison" works out. This turned out perfect. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mirror looks great. The best part is that you used what you had for a stunning freebie look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sheilla. Your mirror looks beautiful. I love it. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I really appreciate it. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails