GROWN-UP GIRLS LIKE TO PLAY TOO! WELCOME TO MY PLAYGROUND

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Maine Fiber Frolic

Last Saturday, a couple of my friends and I went to the Tenth Annual Maine Fiber Frolic in Windsor, Maine. It was quite an interesting experience. There were vendors of myriads of different types of wool and fiber, as well as the animals that produced that fiber. This was of particular interest to my friend, Pat Bunce(pictured left), creator of Whatsoever Things wearable art. I'll be featuring some of her beautiful bags and jackets in my upcoming online store! Pat purchased a large bag of alpaca fleece and some gorgeous hand-spun, hand dyed yarn. I can't wait to see what she does with it! There were lots of vendors present, and quite a variety of demonstrations....everything from carding wool, to spinning it, to weaving it....etc. It was very interesting to see all of the workmanship that went into the incredible yarns. The woman on the right is from Good Karma Farm, in Belfast, Maine, where alpacas are raised, and wool yarn is produced by hand. You can see some of the lovely yarns in the background. This is one of the many alpacas exibited at the event. They are lovely animals to look at, but not as warm and cuddly as an animal lover such as myself might hope for. Still, they were quite fascinating to watch. The animals were definitely my favorite attraction! This large ram was one of the friendliest animals. Maybe he realized that I'm an Aries! At any rate, he seemed to enjoy being petted. His wool was incredibly thick! I had to work my way down about 3 or 4 inches to find his skin to scratch behind his ears! My other favorites were the babies! I could have easily taken the little baby goat that Pat was holding home with me. He was as sweet and cuddly as a puppy! The little goats were just as playful as cuddly, though. It was a delight to see them jumping up in the air, and then chasing each other, and sometimes butting heads. Like their parents, the baby alpacas (above) did not care much for handling, but they were adorable to watch. These two appear to be sharing secrets. Well, I've got lots of work to do to get the store ready, and a very full weekend planned, so it's time to move on. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails